Why are detox drinks important...
With summers we tend to feel more thirsty. We know sugary drinks aren’t good for us because they are high in calories, and they don’t really hydrate us all that well. Caffeinated beverages like soda and coffee can actually leave us more dehydrated. So we end up with coconut water, sugarcane juice & lemon water. But the Detox drinks just add extra flavor too the healthy options of water
How to make Detox water...
You can infuse water with any number of herbs, spices, edible flowers, fruit and even vegetables! Here are some ideas:
- Herbs: Rosemary, thyme, mint, basil, cilantro, parsley
- Spices: Cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, fresh ginger, cloves, vanilla bean
- Edible flowers: Rose, lavender, citrus blossoms, hibiscus, pansies, violets (or any that are 100% pesticide free)
- Fruit: Berries (fresh or frozen), melon, tropical fruits, citrus, apples, pears
- Vegetables: Cucumber, celery, fennel, carrots
- Water: Filtered water is great, but if you don’t have a filtration system, tap water is fine too.
Let the water sit for a few hours to allow the flavors to infuse. The longer it sits, the more flavorful the water will be. Some fruits or herbs will infuse more quickly than others. Citrus is pretty instant. Herbs take a little longer. Berries take a few hours and will also release color into the water. I put the infused water in the fridge immediately after I make it, but it doesn’t hurt to let it sit at room temperature for a little while. However, you should keep it in the fridge or put ice in it if you aren’t planning on using it right away.
So start making your own detox water TODAY!